Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tamalpa Headlands 50K Training Week Six: Slow and Steady

Week six already?!? Only twelve weeks left to prepare, and I am still hesitant, cautious, and generally timid about running. Like a fledgling bird teetering at the edge of the nest, I just cannot commit. Last week was full of walk/runs and strength exercises... And a 10K (which also included some walking).
 
Here's the week:
 
Monday: casual walk
 
Tuesday: Easy hour jog
 
Thursday: Easy 45 minute jog
 
Saturday: Harmony Run 10K
 
Sunday: recovery walk/jog ~50 minutes
 
Totals: 22 miles, avg HR 144, weight 196.3
 
On the plus side, my weight has begun to drop. The MAF TWT diet, while not limiting calories, has been interesting. My energy levels suck; most of the walking I have been doing is due more to lack of energy than sharp pains, although my hip/groin continues to feel vulnerable.
 
The Harmony Run 10K was a good test run. A two loop course, I completed the first loop with an average pace of about 9:15/mile, which is the fastest I have covered ground on foot since my injury. I could not hold the pace for the second lap, and shuffled across the line in just over an hour for my slowest 10K to date.
 
Visits to the chiropractor and physician next week should help get me back on track. I have to be in pacing shape in six weeks for the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 miler. David is going to need the best support I can provide, and I need to figure out how to get some  altitude training in before pacing at 7000+ feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment