Saturday, November 9, 2013

Leap of Faith: 2014 Western States 100 Lottery


Could this be my first buckle?
The culmination of my fantastical ultra running career has brought me to this place. Throwing my name into the hat for the 2014 Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run lottery feels surreal. My lizard brain encourages me while my rational brain takes solace in the long odds. I'll get a second go around in my running club's lottery, with much better chances of being selected; fate will decide.

The fact that American River 50 Mile will no longer be accepted as a qualifying run made it a simple decision, but the anxiety which surrounds the 100 mile distance remains. And I think that's healthy. The day I no longer feel a twinge of fear when contemplating 100 miles will be a sad one, for it will signal that what was once a staggering suggestion has become mundane (as if).

No comments:

Post a Comment