Sunday, August 26, 2012

CIM Training Week One and America's Cup Sailing

This week was an exciting one! 

Kuani (in background on right) watching the racing
On one hand, I began training for the California International Marathon. On the other, we took passengers out to see America's Cup racing on the Bay aboard Kuani. I had to rearrange my training a little bit to accommodate the charters, but they were worth it! Seeing cutting edge catamarans up close and underway was (up until now) a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. They return in October, but Bizz Johnson is that week, so we will have to wait until next year, when the America's Cup racing is expected to last two months, to get out there and provide a spectator platform for what is sure to be an exciting summer.

And, the weekend long runs continue. Twelve miles today, increasing as the marathon approaches. The weekend before Bizz Johnson I will be up to 18 miles. People look at me funny when I say "I usually hate the first mile, but 6-10 are awesome", but I really feel that way. After warming up, that middle third of any run is when I come closest to what may be the elusive "runner's high", although I think I will have a better idea of what exactly that is when I get out there and stick with it for more than four hours.

Another new addition to my training is weekly A.R.T. sessions. Active Release Technique is effective at removing lactic acid buildup and scar tissue from overworked muscles. I hope that this therapy can mitigate my left Achilles pain and help me avoid injury. I also plan to utilize full body sports massage in the weeks prior to and post-Bizz Johnson.


No comments:

Post a Comment