Tuesday, January 1, 2013

American Canyon 50K Training Week Three - Six to go

Week three of American Canyon 50K training saw the holidays come in with more weather. I got four days in between trips home:

Wednesday: 45 minutes at 9:00

Thursday: 60 minutes eat 9:00

Friday: 45 minutes at 9:00

Saturday: hilly 2 hours ~ half marathon pace

Totals: 29.38 miles, 2910'/3606' elevation gain/loss, avg HR 142

I am implementing a new fueling strategy during training, abstaining from calories for runs under three hours. The mid-week base runs went good, but my post workout recovery fueling on Saturday was a fail. After running down to the lake and back, and then down to Lower Scotts Flat Lake, then a couple of repeats on the dam, I only took in 4-500 calories. Despite grazing continuously at a dinner party that night, my blood sugar crashed and I had to take a nap. 

Looking past the holidays with no outstanding niggles, I am excited to continue Tim's plan. Next Saturday he is holding a clinic on Race Training at Sports Basement, which I will follow with three hours in the Marin Headlands. The downside is I probably will not get to see Twirly that weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment