Monday, June 17, 2013

Tamalpa Headlands 50K Training Week Eight: Beginning Again

My injury continues to improve; I'd estimate that I am at 75% right now, and running every other day, ish. My fitness has suffered from two months of non-training. I had hoped to be building a rock solid aerobic base, but find myself starting anew eight weeks into my training plan. Easy jogging and strength exercises are my staples at the moment, but I look forward to getting back to trail running and some elevation!

Here's the week:

Tuesday: 30 minutes on the treadmill

Thursday: 30 minutes on the treadmill

Sunday: 90 minutes on the Coastal Trail with Twirly

Totals: 11 miles, avg HR 119

Keeping it easy enabled Twirly to join me on Sunday, when we ran to Pirates Cove on the Coastal Trail. We left from the Tennessee Valley trail head and had gorgeous weather for the short stint over the hill. I always run past the spur trail to the beach, so it was cool to make the beach our destination for the day. It feels more like a pirate's cove when you're down on the beach.

As my pulled groin muscle slowly regains its composure, I am trying to internalize the training changes I have made: hip and core strengthening, reduced carbohydrates and more sleep! Tahoe Rim Trail 50 miler is in five weeks, and I'll have to be able to power hike/jog 20 miles of mountainous trail at altitude with David. Upon returning from a training run on the race course last weekend, he told me he would not wish the trail on anyone. However, he did not provide me an opportunity to back out of my pacing duties...

No comments:

Post a Comment