Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Time Accelerates as Improvement Continues

I think I have my ITBS under control. Measured increases in effort and vertical have not caused any additional inflammation, and my performances on my routine training routes are improving (thanks for the easy comparisons, Strava). It feels good to be getting noticeably stronger, and I am looking forward to adding in some speed workouts after the upcoming Marin Ultra Challenge 50k.

My adaptation of the ketogenic diet continues to pay dividends. I remain extremely low carb during the day (<30 grams of carbs) and through my afternoon workouts. At dinner, I have been allowing myself a few luxuries; I had my mother-in-laws lasagne on Monday night, and I'll sneak in a beer here and there. My energy levels are fantastic and I continues my cascade towards race weight.

Wednesday weigh in, March 4th:
  • Weight: 189.9 (-2.3 lbs)
  • Body fat %: 18.64 (+0.28)
  • Ketone level: 0.9 mm
I won't sweat the slight increase in body fat %. I use a Tanita scale, and I have always taken those numbers with a grain of salt. Increased mileage in the next two weeks ought to wrangle that trend. Since December 9th, I have lost 19.5 lbs! Amazing how easy it was once my name was drawn at the WS100 lottery.

I am optimistic about the upcoming race. My climbing strength increases every day, and as long as my fueling strategy works out, I should be able to finish under 6.5 hours comfortably. I want to make sure I burn enough calories to justify eating at my favorite restaurant in Marin, fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment