Sunday, November 11, 2012

CIM Training Week Twelve, the Lost Week

After the US Half Marathon on Sunday, my cold worsened. It violated the below the neck rule, moving into my chest, then my throat. So running was off the table for a while. It was easily the worst I'd felt in years. I'm used to experiencing cold symptoms for a few days, not weeks, and as the week wore on, the scheduled runs failed to manifest. Here's how the week played out:

Tuesday: 30 minutes at 9:30 effort - a body check run to see if there were any Half Marathon niggles.

Thursday: 45 minutes at 9:00 effort - heart rate climbed almost 10% higher than normal.

Total: 9.71 miles

Hopefully this sickness will abate sooner rather than later. My last long run before the marathon is next Sunday, and I'd really like to get an accurate assessment of my fitness. Tim has done well to counsel and remind me not to play catch up, but to ease back into the schedule. I missed almost five hours of training because of this damn cold, and that puts me in unfamiliar territory. Fortunately I have encouragement and guidance. Dealing with the unexpected factors is ubiquitous in running, as it is in life. Without the support of others, without the inclusion of others, the solitary experience can feel like a burden. Sharing the burden provides a sense of worth and ratification. Participating in an event, posting mileage on facebook, hiring a coach, rallying ones friend's,  these lift the spirit and result in new challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment