Thursday, May 30, 2013

Tamalpa Headlands 50K Training Week Five: Injury Time-out

Injured?

I still shrink from the word, as if it were "Beetlejuice". Say it three times out loud, stop running and call me in the morning. My hip/groin niggle has not improved in the face of daily physical therapy and reduced running volume and intensity. As a result, I have further reduced volume and intensity. Here's the weak:

Wednesday: 75 minutes on the treadmill

Totals: 7.13 miles, Avg HR 130, weight 199.7

The weight number was good, getting me back below the mental milestone of 200 pounds (or 14 stones, 4 pounds). Reducing the suds has helped offset the lack of aerobic exercise. I am going to follow Dr. Phil Maffetone's "Two Week Test" diet to determine how my body handles various sources of carbs, and try to reset my metabolism to be more fat-focused. We'll see how that plays out in the coming weeks.

I still have to baby my hip when running. It is beginning to loosen up as I run, but that only lasts about a half an hour; then I start to tighten up again. I feel as if I could easily blow it out if I were to trip and have to engage the fast twitch muscles to save myself from falling. So I end up shuffling along, wondering if I am still doing my fitness any good. I am signed up for the Harmony 10K in Grass Valley this Saturday. It is unlikely I'll be able to race it; just another training race.

No comments:

Post a Comment